Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Peer Pressure, Professional Learning & the Principalship: They Got Me On Periscope!

I did it. It was peer pressure - even though deep down I really probably wanted to try it.  I wouldn't have. But, peer pressure got me.
Periscope.
That darn TPT conference and social media combined to rock my world.
See, I'm not a teacher, and TPT, well, I love to look at it, but it really hasn't completely embraced us administrators. My role seems to be more of a cheerleader for the amazing teachers with whom I work. They post and share; they blog and Instagram. They build and tweet. They have an entire professional learning community that I'm kinda left out of.    
When I taught, back in the day, I attended the conferences I was asked to attend; I presented the presentations I was asked to present. I remember being so jealous when our school counselor was talking about a True Colors Workshop she was going to attend. I was absolutely green. Apparently, it was obvious. Someone got sick and couldn't go the day of the conference, and suddenly, I was there! I'd have run over someone with my car to go. I was giddy.
Professional learning early in my career involved doing exactly as I was asked - anything more was done under the radar. You could never survive if you looked or acted like you wanted to be better or do more.
But, I'll admit it: I read a lot along the way. I ask tons of questions. And, fortunately, I married a co-worker - which meant I could bounce ideas and brainstorm in bed! (Maybe that should be another blog!) In all, I think I was pretty innovative for the 90's.
Fast forward. I have teachers at every grade level making money on TPT. I have bloggers and tweeters. I have presenters and curriculum writers. I don't HAVE to push them. They push me! Heck, I'm just trying to keep up with them!
I think I could keep up, but there are just so many of them. They're moving in so many directions. Then, Periscope. Darn TPT conference. Darn social media. In 24 hours, I had one texting me that it was the greatest thing ever and another sending me tutorials.Then, the #periscopeteacherchallenge came.
So, I did it. It was awful. (Well, don't tell but my first Periscope was actually just trying to figure out the logistics so it was actually about 2 minutes of our new kitten chasing a fishing lure. I earned some hearts and actually had 10 visitors!) Then, I actually completed the #periscopeteacherchallenge, thanks to one of my teachers, and it was pretty awful. Actually, it was terrible. I forgot to give it a title. Only 3 people joined me. It was bad. I deleted it. But, I did it.
I knew I had to do another one; my competitive nature kicked in. So, I had an epiphany as I was leaving work a couple of days ago. The sun was bright, and I immediately thought how thankful I was for my sunglasses. Then, I thought about how thankful I am for my real glasses. I know: I'm a dork. So, I was in the thankful thought process and from there, I thought about how thankful I am to have a wonderful custodian. She had just stopped in to say hello and see if I needed anything. She's truly invested in the school. Bam! That was my Periscope - 3 things for which I am thankful.
Every few months a different site will reuse this.
It's crazy seeing your daughter when you scroll
through your news feed.
Yes, even my mom has made her social media debut!
I have really been working on being thankful and showing gratitude more, so that's what I talked about in my Periscope. Long story short, I got totally nervous and talked about gratitude and graciousness synonymously with thankfulness. I came across as a complete moron. Nice.
So, 2 official Periscopes and 2 official epic fails.
I'll do it again. I think. Secretly, I'd love to taunt my daughters - one who has over 2 million loops on Vine Riley's Vine and the other who had a tweet go viral. I would love to taunt them with better ratios. :)
Staying ahead of two teenagers is hard enough. Now, I have an entire staff to try to stay ahead of.
I realized years ago with Instagram that I can't stay ahead of my girls, not possible. I have to trust that they've learned right and wrong, and they will do what is right.
Periscope taught me the same thing. I can't stay ahead of my teachers. It's impossible. I can only support them and encourage them to take risks and learn new things. The best I can do is maintain my own professional learning, watch for trends in data throughout grade levels and the school, and share! I can build relationships and listen. I can be available and provide support.
After 14 years in the same school, I am blessed my role as a principal continues to evolve and develop. I am not only thankful for a staff that is willing to think outside of the box and take risks, but I am also thankful for one that challenges me to continue to grow!
For now, I'll just listen for that Periscope alert! Maybe I'll see you there! 


No comments:

Post a Comment