Friday, July 28, 2017

Are Flip-Flops School Appropriate?

The North Face Base Camp Lite Flip-Flop Women's

I go back to school Monday. I was totally pumped until bath time tonight. That’s when it hit me: my flip flop tan lines were going to swiftly deteriorate. By the first day for learners in late August, they’ll be only a fond, faint memory.

I stopped my bathtub reading – tonight’s gem: Culturally Responsive Teaching & The Brain. I didn’t even read the text messages that were dinging in my right ear. I studied them looking closely at the differences in skin tones. Was one darker than the other? How long would they really last? My mind was frantic with visions of how I could keep them just a bit longer.

Momentarily, in what many may call a brief bout of insanity, I considered wearing them to work. I could go outside every chance I had to maintain the lines even briefly. Of course, since I have a strict no flip-flop policy, that could potentially create chaos for the staff. (Yes, even I have a few non-negotiables: If it looks like a flip-flop, flips or flops when you walk, then it’s a flip-flop. It does not matter how much it cost. It does not matter how many rhinestones it supports. If it flips or flops, it’s a big fat no. For the record, I have the same response to “leggins” and overalls: No.) I momentarily went so far as to consider offering to do recess duty so I could wear them outside. No one wants to brave the 100+ degrees Texas temperatures in August and September. The teachers would love me! Of course, we can’t go outside when it’s that hot so I’d be stuck inside trying to do a Go Noodle dance or something in my flip-flops, and I’d probably turn an ankle. Once again, that’s a no.

I’m losing it. They really will be gone soon. Heck, I’m a ginger; I’m blessed to have them in the first place.


So, I have learned a LOT tonight. 1. My feet are not photogenic. 2. It's still hot outside, even at midnight. 3. This probably isn't even interesting. 4. I should be endorsed by The North Face because I LOVE these Flip-Flops! Oh, and 5. I'm not even that tan so this is probably a ridiculous, mute point. 

I really don’t know what to think. I am super excited about the first day back. (I don’t know why; I’ve been there 3-4 days a week all summer.) This epiphany has tempered my spirits a tad.

Three days. That’s how long I have to get the best flip flop tan line ever. Rain is in the forecast.

Saving grace: the kids don’t care. They actually won’t notice. They’ll be too smothered in hugs and stories of the summer and more happy hugs; they won’t even see my feet.

Worst-case scenario, I believe I have some spray tan under the bathroom sink.


Happy First Week Back!

6 comments:

  1. I love this, Jennifer!! :) I lived in flip-flops at my old school in Champaign, IL. If it was 40 degrees or warmer (sometimes colder!), I was in flip-flops. Occasionally a cute sandal, but never closed-toe shoes. My new school...not sure yet...... I already know that I can only wear jeans on Friday and no school t-shirts --- a drastic change. Enjoy your flip-flops for now! :) ~Maureen Beyt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maureen! Great to hear from you! Wow! I love my sandals, but only when it's Texas HOT! Have a great year! Good luck in your change!

      Delete
  2. I agree! There is nothing quite like a comfy pair of flip flops, a breezy tank top, and some nice tan lines! Unless... it's that fabulous new Mcauliffe t-shirt (and maybe some tennies on jeans days) awaiting the first week of school! ��❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am confident we have one in your size! Would LOVE to have you anytime! Maybe you could join us the first week for Kinder Kamp! I know you have a lot going on, but you are always welcome! Missing you! <3

      Delete
  3. Perfectly good read! It's a love/hate relationship with flip flops for sure! But the excitement to get back in the swing of things trumps it all! Enjoy your last weekend, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super excited! It's going to be a blast!
      <3

      Delete